No one can know what the future holds with complete certainty, and the COVID-19 pandemic has created even more ambiguity and uncertainty for couples and families. This lingering uncertainty can be scary and anxiety provoking, and it may be difficult to cope. Here are some things that couples can do to embrace this ambiguity together:
- Know that what you’re experiencing is uncertain – label it – accept it.
- Normalize the ambivalence that you both are experiencing – it’s okay to have mixed feelings.
- Share your perspective with your partner – stay open to sharing even if you sometimes disagree.
- Be flexible and creative.
- Reconstruct your routines and rituals – view this uncertain time as an opportunity for a refresh.
- Find meaning in this difficult time – you are not alone.
Links for further reading:
-Coping with Uncertainty during COVID-19: https://www.gottman.com/blog/coping-with-uncertainty-during-covid-19-an-international-gottman-trainer-shares-their-perspective/?j=46115&sfmc_sub=20698054&l=197_HTML&u=696537&mid=100017189&jb=440&utm_source=email&utm_medium=mm&utm_campaign=MM_373_Embracing_ambiguity
-Conflict and Connecting in Crisis: https://www.gottman.com/blog/for-better-or-for-worse-conflict-and-connecting-in-crisis/?j=46115&sfmc_sub=20698054&l=197_HTML&u=696538&mid=100017189&jb=440&utm_source=email&utm_medium=mm&utm_campaign=MM_373_Embracing_ambiguity